Milano Cellars Fiano


Milano Cellars is part of the Wine Shops at Home family of wines.  It’s a club I’ve been a part of for many years and was my first introduction to wine.  I saw an ad in a local magazine about the local representative, called her, and booked a party.  She had several options for tasting boxes and I said, “White wine only, please.”  (Oh, how far I’ve come when I look back.)  She talked me into a tasting box with four whites and two reds.

For a long time, I did a tasting at home every year.  Then life took over, COVID, you get the picture.  It’s probably time for me to do one again.  I enjoy having their rep in my home with a selection of finger foods, five of my friends, and a walk through the wines they have to offer. 

After my second wine party, I signed up for their monthly wine club.  I switch between one white/one red and two reds, enjoying almost every bottle I get.  (Unless they send me California Chardonnay.  Then it goes into the “regifting closet” for my dad who loves Chardonnay.)

This bottle caught my eye because I didn’t know the varietal.  Fiano isn’t a common grape that I was excited to try.  It has a beautiful aroma of flowers – honeysuckle, and under that melon.  You may find a hint of pear under all of that.  It’s a light white made for summer drinking.  The flavors are equally as light.  There is no acid to speak of.  The entire palate is soft and well rounded.  Imagine a Pinot Gris with the hint of flowers over the top.  It has a touch of minerality with the melon from the nose.

This is a lovely bottle with an interesting grape I hope I see more often.  You can only get it from Wine Shops at Home, however, so you’ll have to head to their website if you want to try a bottle of your own.

Comments