Shadowland: Merlot

Shadowland wines are affordable and can be found in local grocery stores, so no searching for boutique wine shops on this bottle.  

They’re grown and bottled in Washington State with a selection of wines: Chardonnay, Riesling, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, and a Red Blend.

Washington State is the United States second largest wine producer.  Grapes are the state’s fourth largest fruit crop.  (www.washingtonwine.org)

I picked up Shadowland Merlot while I was looking for a wine to serve with burgers and corn on the cob in the back yard.  I love heavy reds with beef and I love the smoky taste of a merlot.  At $12.99 for the bottle, it seemed like a safe bet for an affordable burger wine I’ve never tried before.

After my first taste, I went back to look at the bottle to be sure I’d grabbed the Merlot and not some kind of Pinot Noir. 

The initial flavor is light and fruity, a red perfect for the heat of summer.  It’s not at all what I expect.  
I taste bright berries like cherry and blueberry, but not too sweet.  There’s no tannin filled after taste and none of the smoky flavor I associate with Merlots. 

The nose follows the flavors.  There’s a hint of yeast when you first uncork the bottle, but then light berry scents take over.

Overall, it’s a fabulous light red wine that’s fuller than a Pinot Noir.  (To me, most Pinot Noir is “watery.”)  If you’re a white wine lover who’s looking to find a drinkable red, I’d give this one a try.  I think you’ll find it very easy to love and appreciate.


For the burgers – I make mine with Weber Chicago Steak Seasoning.  Together with this wine, they make fabulous pairing.  You should be able to find the seasoning in the herb section of most major grocery stores.

Comments