Bear’s Lair: Pinot Noir 2013

I found this bottle on sale at Sprouts this week.  $7.99.  So I figured, how bad can it be for $7.99?  The label isn’t outstanding, but it’s a Napa Pinot Noir so I thought it might be a chance.  (Now if the label were more exciting, well, that would be different.  But nothing outstanding – no creepy pictures or funky themes.)

Let’s start with a warning: this wine changes drastically when the air touches it.  When I initially opened it, there wasn’t much dryness – it was reasonably sweet with a distinct flavor of cinnamon.  But I left a few sips in the bottom of my glass while I cleaned up the kitchen after dinner and BOOM a light bodied dry red.  I would have thought someone switched glasses with me if I wasn’t home alone.  (And although I think cats will eventually take over the world like the evil masterminds they are, the cat I have doesn’t have thumbs so she couldn’t manage the bottle opener.)

There’s a sweetness to the nose – it smells like raspberry jam with a touch of cinnamon on top.  For me, those two scents overwhelm everything else.  The label tells me I’m supposed to also smell cherries (no mention of raspberry), but that’s lost on me.  But labels can’t actually smell, either.

Just imagine a piece of toast covered in the nose.  You’ll see what I mean – raspberry jam.
The flavor is light and easy.  I think I’m supposed to taste oak (it is an oaked wine, after all), but it isn’t there.  I can immediately taste the cinnamon and spice.  The raspberry is there, too, so it’s flavor matches the nose spot on.

It’s a great wine for the price.

The flavor is so light it needs a heavy food to pair with.  I’m a huge fan of Brie (preferably with pepper jelly) or even a sharp cheddar.  Most of the reviews I read suggest salmon, I’m imagining a lightly grilled salmon (not overcooked) with an ample dusting of pepper.


For the value, this is a great wine to keep around for impromptu dinner parties or an evening on the back patio.

Comments