Bulletproof Picasso Sauvignon Blanc 2013

It’s time for another musical wine.  I’m sighing inwardly and preparing myself before I even test the nose.  I really like Train.  Musically.  Drops of Jupiter, their red blend, didn’t impress me.  It was a little too sweet for me to really enjoy it.   (And believe me, this bottle was a gift from a favorite student so I WANTED to like it.)  Soul Sister, their Pinot Noir, was marginally better but there were much better bottles out there for the price.

So now I sit here looking at Bulletproof Picasso, their Sauvignon Blanc, and wonder what the heck I was thinking.  I really am writing this before I so much as smell the wine.  I’m committed.  If it’s terrible, this is probably going to be a bad blog.

The color’s beautiful.  We can start there.  It’s pale, pale straw color and has hint of green to it.  I love the color.

So now let’s move on to the nose.  It clearly smells like grapefruit.  The most novice wine drinker should pick up on that.  There’s a little bit of grass and mineral scent underneath it.  Good.  I had a bottle of Sav Blanc recently that smelled like peaches.  I wanted to send a note to the manufacturer with the bottle to alert them that they accidentally mislabeled their Riesling.

I like tart, grapefruit filled Sauvignon Blanc.  Is it possible I got really, really lucky this time?

Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, depending on your palate, the tart nose of grapefruit doesn’t carry over as much as I’d like.  There is grapefruit, and the grass flavors, along with a little bit of lemon/lime.  There’s a touch of sweetness to it.

Honestly, I like the nose to this one better than the flavor.

Not my favorite Sauvignon Blanc, but far better than some I’ve had.  On a scale of ten, I’d give this one a six.  It’s drinkable.  Enjoyable, even.  Drink it on a summer evening on the back deck with a salad or light seafood. 


Would I buy it again?  Maybe.  If the price were right.  I paid $11.99 for this bottle.  On sale, it would be worth it.  It’s better than most of the grocery store standards.

Comments