No Curfew Cabernet Sauvignon

No Curfew is my Halloween wine.  Each year, for Halloween night, I buy a bottle with a Halloween feel.  So far, Poizin Zinfandel has been my favorite (but out of this Blog’s price range).  This bottle had a nice display at the wine shop and looked promising.  At $11.99, it’s higher priced than an everyday table wine.

Alas, this wine doesn’t have a curfew because I’m not sure anyone wants it to come home.

The nose is straight forward.  Dark cherry, heavy on the tannins, and well, just heavy.  The delicate intricacies I expect in the nose of a wine just aren’t there.  I can tell it’s a young cab.  Older wines from older vines will have a complex smell.  Blackberry.  Oak.  Earth. 

This wine smells…almost like astringent.  The kind you wipe on your face when you’re a teenager to prevent break outs. 

Appetizing.

The flavor is equally bland.  It hits young tongue with a heavy, almost medicinal flavor.  (Okay, maybe that was my mind after comparing it to facial cleanser.)    I’m having a hard time pulling a part the individual flavors.  Again, a trait of a young cab.

I keep trying.  Paired with Gouda, the wine becomes more drinkable.

But honestly, it’s just not good.

Sadly, Halloween seems to be a bust this year for wine.


Unless you have a bottle of Viognier laying around.  If you do, I highly recommend you try a glass with some of those leftover Butterfinger bars you didn’t hand out to the local trick or treaters.  Now that is a magical combination.

Comments