La Vieille Ferme Ricolte 2013

This week we’re going back to an easy to find bottle.  I picked it up at Sprouts (a local grocery store).  I’ve also found these in my local Kroger.  There’s no reason you can’t go out there, find a bottle, and taste this one with me.

For a French wine, the nose isn’t nearly heavy enough.  I expect to be able to smell the location of the wine.  This one, while stronger and more defined than an American wine, seems a little lost.  There IS a slightly strange, metallic or medicinal scent right off the top. 

This concerns me.  I find myself wondering if I’m going to down a swallow of cherry cough syrup when I finally taste.  You know, the kind you had when you were a kid that was supposed to taste like the cherry on the top of the sundae?  Someone needs to send medicine companies a news bulletin – it doesn’t taste like that.

And to be honest, the association has ruined the candied cherries for me.  Still can’t stomach them.

Well, I’m committed, so I go ahead and taste.

Honestly, it isn’t as bad as I thought it would be.  I would like something with a little more depth to it, since it does have Grenache.  It’s a little acidic for my taste and not something for winter months.  This is much more suited for hot summer nights.  It’s light and minerally.

Rhone Valley wines have never been my favorite.  But if you’re looking for a red that isn’t filled with heavy fruit flavors, give this one a try.


This winery does a nice Rose.  I remember it being filled with strawberries and a touch dry.  This one IS worth the try.

Comments