February 23, 2017

Beringer: Merlot

I lost a bet.  Now I’m doing a blog on Beringer. 

I got to pick the varietal.  I went with what 99% of college students start with when they purchase their first bottle of “real” red wine.

I’m prepared with some nicely imported parmesan cheese to hopefully help what I’m about to taste.  The cheese cost more than the bottle.  I’m not kidding.

I’m told Beringer has very nice wines available at their winery in Napa.  I’m not sure, I’ve never been there, but I’ll take your word for it.

This bottle, however, is what they sell in the regular grocery store.

The nose is ho-hum.  Nothing spectacular, not much to note.  I’m getting a very little bit of raspberry. 
Maybe it’s the hyacinth’s blooming outside that’s messing with my ability to smell, but last night’s Valentine’s Day wine smelled divine.  It’s not looking good for this bottle. 

Now the really funny part.  The mouth is SWEET.  Sweet enough that it’s strangely enjoyable.  The bitter after taste of an inexpensive merlot is completely covered up by a currant flavored syrup. 

Talk about something I wasn’t expecting.

If there’s oak in there, I can’t find it. 

This wine is listed as dry.  I’d move that listing over to the semi-dry.  But the surprise is this: I like it.  It’s not for a steak, hamburger, or peperoni pizza. 

It IS nice with the parm and would go well with desert.  At $5 per bottle, I’d say I’s worth the value.  I wouldn’t pay much more, but $5 is fair.

On a side note, I’ve been to several “Foodie” festivals where they serve Beringer for $5 a glass.  

Don’t. Do. It. 


I promise it isn’t that good.

Comments