February 9, 2017

Buried Cane Cabernet Sauvignon

Let’s talk cab.  Big, thick, full-bodied cab.  This Washington State cab is a killer find.  If I could identify everything that makes cab taste amazing and put it in one bottle, this would be it. 

The oak aging gives the nose a nice tanginess that seems to be topped off with a sweet plum.  It’s one of those rare American wine moments when I swear I can smell the location.  It has dirt to it – earth and roots and history.  You know before you ever take a sip that it’s going to be bold and strong.

The flavor is amazing.  A bit of dark cherries and slightly bitter raspberries.  All I have to do is think about a big steak and my mouth starts watering. 

Let’s be honest.  American cabs run the gamut.  From light, barely there mass produced bottles from California to big, deep cabs like this one.  There’s no holding back on this wine – it’s the Wild West cowboy of wines.  In your face.  It doesn’t hold back.  Incredible tannins, spicy, and a beautiful lingering flavor.

This wine needs big to go with it – the best cut of steak or a strong, sharp cheese.  Personally, I love it with Bellavitano rubbed with espresso. 

But this isn’t a wine for a beginner.  If you love a good Pinot Grigio, don’t jump to this red first.  You’ll hate it.  This wine is for the true red wine connoisseur. 

(I feel like I need to keep a bottle of this on my wine rack to impress my “wine geek” friends.  It’s a wine for knowledgeable company – not the friend who only drinks wine when they’re at your house and you serve it.  Or – shudder – the friend who prefers White Zinfandel above all else.)


At $16, this bottle is worth every penny.

Comments