March 16, 2017
Prophecy Pinot Noir

This is another wine I purchased solely because of the label.  I’d been looking at if for several weeks until it went on sale.  Generally speaking, unless that beautiful little yellow Kroger sale tag is on a wine in a grocery story, I’m not going to buy it.  There are a few exceptions, but very few.

I’m more likely to purchase full price wines at a knowledgeable shop.  Not the big liquor store that has a small section of wines next to 57 different types of vodka.  But an actual, local wine shop.

Off the bat, I’m very impressed by the nose.  It has location!  There’s that slightly sharp smell overtop of cherry that’s lovely.  The nose is telling me a story – there’s a little acidity underneath and a touch of oak?  I didn’t expect the oak.  And pepper.  Just a little bit of pepper.

The flavor is fruit forward, not too sweet, and really big for a Pinot Noir.  It isn’t at all weak or watery (a common problem in my opinion for Pinot Noir).  No terrible aftertaste, just a smooth finish.

If there’s any complaint with this it’s the sweetness.  It’s not as dry as I usually like my reds.  It would go great with honey glazed ham or another dish that holds a touch of sweet. 

Don’t get me wrong, it isn’t overly syrupy.  It’s drinkable and it doesn’t need to be a desert wine.  But I wouldn’t pair it with a steak dinner. 

Very nice for the value.  (Although I’d still wait for it to be on sale, I purchased it at $8.) This winery does several other vintages I’ll probably also be tasting.  Very nice California wine.

Comments