March 2, 2017
Santa Luz “Alba” Chardonnay

I first tasted this at a wine tasting for wines that go well with chocolate.  Internally, I sighed when I saw we were tasting a Chardonnay from Chile.  First – it’s a Chardonnay.  Second – I have not had a fabulous record with wines from South America.  (Or South Africa for that matter, although I keep hearing great things.  I just can’t taste great things.)

I walked out of that tasting with a bottle tucked under my arm for my sister (awesome Christmas gift) and came back later for my own.

This wine has the most beautiful nose.  Pineapple.  Grapefruit.  There’s a touch of this wine aged in oak – most of it is in stainless steel.  (These are magic words in my world – unoaked Chardonnay.  Say it out loud.  Magic.)  That tiny bit of oak gives the wine an extra umph and enough body to not be overrun by food.

The flavor is equally filled with citrus fruits.  There’s a touch of sweetness, but mostly lemon and grapefruit. 

This wine is stunning. 

And here’s the best part – it’s a $10 bottle.  Find this one, buy several bottles, and give them away as gifts.

My sister and I exchange a bottle of wine for Christmas every year. 

We have a running joke – she finds the most stereotypical, grocery store label she can.  I try to find something that looks amazing, I tell her all about it, about the winery, why it’s so special, and it’s usually something she’ll never find locally in Panama City Beach. 

The joke is, both bottles are usually equally as good.  (I found 14 Hands is decent, although I didn’t love Middle Sister.)  But mine always looks better. 😊


For $10, I’m pretty sure I won the “better wine” challenge of Christmas 2016.

Comments