March 30, 2017
Kaya Vineyards – Sangiovese Rose

Over the weekend, I took a trip up to the mountains to try a new vineyard. 

Kaya Vineyards, about a mile down the road from Frogtown, is north of Dahlonega, Georgia.  It sits on the remains of Blackstock vineyards – one of the first vineyards in the Dahlonega area.  Future plans for the site include a hotel, restaurant, and cottages.

Onto the Rose.

I had no idea what to expect from these wines.  The winery is so new, I hadn’t heard any true reviews of their wines.  The North Georgia mountains can create amazing wines.  Frogtown, just up the street, is a shining example of California quality wines.  But Georgia wines could also fall very flat.

What I found here was an interesting dichotomy.  I enjoyed the whites.  Not so much the reds.  The reds were drinkable, but not something I’d go out of my way to find.

This Sangiovese Rose has a nice, crisp nose and flavor.  It’s a true dry red without any hint of sugary sweetness.  I get slight flavors of melon and citrus.  There aren’t heavy flowery overtones, just a very straightforward wine.


If you’re in North Georgia, I’d recommend a stop at this winery.  Don’t let the approach fool you, they’re still rebuilding.  The driveway isn’t paved yet and the tasting room looks unassuming among the vines.  But it’s worth the stop.  The food is spectacular, the wine is respectable, and the view is amazing.

Comments