March 9, 2017

Apothic Dark: Red Blend

A couple of weeks ago while I was researching for the Apothic white blog, I noticed a number of stellar reviews for Apothic Dark.

As a fan of the Apothic line, I’m sure I’ve had the Dark before.  But it’s been long enough ago that I couldn’t clearly remember the palate.

So off to the grocery store I go to pick up a bottle.  Easy enough. 

I want to take a moment to give kudos to the Apothic label designer.  All their labels carry a consistent message and look incredible.  This one looks like it should be in Maleficent’s castle.

The nose is heavy and sweet.  Think chocolate covered cherries dipped in liquor and you’ve got the right idea.  Super heavy, no metallic or mineral to it at all.  Also no oak I can detect.  It’s all dark cherry and chocolate.

And the color matches the nose – dark, dark red that’s almost purple.

The flavor isn’t as sweet as the smell but it still holds a lot of chocolate and heaviness.  I think I taste coffee, but not being a coffee drinker makes that a hard call.  Molasses, now that I taste.

I like this one.  I think I like the white better, but that is mostly because I don’t know what I’d pair this one with.  It’s too unique for dinner and I don’t usually drink wine alone.  If anything, I can picture myself drinking this while eating a piece of chocolate lava cake.


Chocolate lava cake.  What a great idea.  Where can I get some of that to go?

Comments