April 27, 2017
Petite Petit

This is another Michael David Winery product.  This one is a blend – 85% Petite Sirah and 15% Petit Verdot.  Love the label – it carries on the Freakshow idea of a circus and sideshow with elephants and juggling mice.

One day I’m going to really miss the mark by purchasing based on label.  Based on the nose, I’m afraid today might be the day.  So far, I’m three for three from this winery.  I hope I’m not about to blow my winning streak on this one.

The nose is very new world.  Which is my way of saying, meh.  It isn’t great, nothing well defined, but it isn’t terrible, either.  The color is gorgeous.  So that’s good.

I get some blackberry on the nose, but not much else.  Maybe it’s the pollen.  It is the springtime in Atlanta.  I’m going to hope that’s it – the pollen is messing up my sense of smell.

Things brighten a little bit with the flavor profile.  Hints of fruit – that blueberry again and currant.  Some pepper on the finish, but not much.  This one is light, light, light.   I’m sure there’s some oak in there, but it’s subtle and buried under everything else.

If you’re a new red drinking then you should try it.


I’m left with my first description.  Meh.  It’s isn’t anything I’m going to keep stocked, but I’d drink it if I were in a restaurant and didn’t have a better option.  (Side note – I WILL drink water and wait until I get home if the wine list is bad enough.  Nothing makes paying $8 for a glass of Beringer worth it.)

Comments