Michael David Winery: Sauvignon Blanc

Some of you might remember Michael David Winery from last year.  They have the incredible cab called Freak Show.  It was one of my favorites last year and something I still try to keep on my shelf.  This winery also got an honorable mention shout out for their Earthquake cab.  (Unfortunately, not under $20.)

They do not offer a lot in the way of white wines.  A chardonnay, this sauv blanc, and a Symphony – which is a grape I’m not familiar with.  All are priced around $15. 

This sauv blanc has a light pale gold color and a gentle nose.  That probably sounds funny.  So many sauv blancs jump out of the glass at me.  It’s like they’re yelling, “Pay attention to me!”  I never think about a sauv blanc being gentle. 

This one is.

You have to swirl and coax the nose out of the glass.  It’s almost shy, quiet, gentle.

When you do finally acquaint yourself with the wine, it has the softest hints of grapefruit and citrus.  If you let the air hit it a little longer, then pear and lime.

The flavor is also gentle for a sauv blanc.  Immediately, there’s a burst of grapefruit.  A sourness you expect from a sauv blanc.  No sweetness or flowery honeysuckle.  It’s all zest and sour fruit. 

You need a really hot day on the back deck for this wine.

I like it.  I don’t drink a lot of Sauv Blanc.  I prefer my whites to have more body like a Viognier or be softer like a Pinot Gris (to go with popcorn).  This one I might keep around for when the mood hits me right.

My only major complaint is the bottle.  A company can’t tease me with the Freakshow label and then hand me a very mundane, very respectable label like this.  The bottle looks like it belongs in a nice steakhouse. 


Perhaps the next time I venture into Michael David Winery’s territory I’ll try 7 Deadly Zins.  Much more creative name and label.

Comments