July 6, 2017

Your Favorite Varietal

This week, instead of looking at a specific bottle, I’m going to talk about my favorite flavor of wine. 

I can stand in the wine aisle of any store (or in a wine shop itself) for a silly amount of time looking at bottles. 

“Sure, honey, go ahead to the movie without me.  I’ll have something picked out by the time it’s over.” 

Yes, it can be that bad.

I love the local wine shop.  They ladies who work there know me pretty well by now.  I’ll walk in and say, “I need an interesting white.”  They’ll pull something off the shelf (they also already know my preferred price point), and away I go.

That’s why I love my local shop.  Kroger just doesn’t do that for me.

Most of the time, I prefer red to white.

I prefer heavier reds.  So generally not Malbec or Pinot Noir.

And I like a more complex flavor.  A good Cab or Zin works for me most days.  Merlot with hamburgers.

But my all time favorite is a Bordeaux blend.

Yep, I’m that kind of old fashioned girl.

Bordeaux is a blend of primarily Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Cabernet Franc.  Petit Verdot, Malbec, and Carmenere can also be in the blend, but only in very small amounts.

A good Bordeaux, to me, tastes a little smoky with cherry, chocolate, and blueberry jam.


What’s your favorite kind of wine?

Comments