October 19, 2017
Angry Orchard – Crisp Apple

I decided to step away from wine for a week.  Sometimes, I need to be able to pop the top on a bottle, and enjoy a drink with some pepperoni pizza.

This week has been one of those weeks.  September is finally over, and while the heat isn’t fading fast enough, October is officially here.  I’m still closing my eyes to imagine colorful leaves.  But they should be here by Thanksgiving.

My niece’s birthday party is this weekend, which means it might be time to gather around my dad’s fire pit with my sister’s family, to enjoy a few drinks as the sky darkens.

I love fall.  It’s time to relax, time to enjoy family and friends, and time to eat an entire bag of Butterfinger bars while handing out candy.

Since I’m (mostly) gluten free, I don’t drink traditional beers.  I have a soft spot in my heart for ciders.  I remember being a kid and going to this fruit stand/orchard.  Haslinger Orchard on Route Six outside of Gibsonburg, Ohio.

In the fall, they’d have apples and cider fresh from their orchards.  I remember going to buy cider in gallon jugs.  I also remember how it would get a “bite” to it if we didn’t drink it fast enough.

So, each fall, I indulge in a six pack or two of hard cider.  This one is a favorite.  It’s easy to drink, with very little bite to it.  The flavor is a traditional cider – no fancy spices, caramel, or Granny Smith tartness.  Just a straight forward, nostalgic, apple cider.


If you’re ever in Northwest Ohio, stop by Haslinger.  It was still there, the last time I drove out that direction.  It’s a great family business, and worth the drive.

Comments