October 5, 2017
Vampire Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy October!  The trees are turning color, the weather’s getting cooler, and pumpkins are appearing on doorsteps around the neighborhood.  It’s the most wonderful time of the year!

Okay, so here in Georgia, the trees aren’t really turning color yet, and it was 91 degrees today. 

But a girl can use her imagination, right?  I remember once in high school, it snowed on the night of the Drama Department’s big Halloween party.  I had to wear a white turtleneck under my Scarlet O’Hara costume.  Of course, that was the same Halloween party that I caught my ringlets on fire at…

I love Halloween.  I love Halloween themed wines, the myths, the scary movies, and the chocolate.

Usually, I blog on one Halloween themed wine the week after the holiday.  This year, I’m dedicated all the weeks of October to fun, spooky wines.

Vampire Cab is one I’ve seen on the shelves for a while.  I’ve never purchased it, at $12, it wasn’t unique enough for me to pick up until today.  Let’s face it – there are 101 cabs on the shelf of any grocery store.

But today, I remember I’d used my first blog wine of October last week, and a quick trip to Publix landed me with this one.

It’s not quite burgundy enough to look like blood, but I guess we can pretend.

The nose isn’t anything exciting.  A standard cab nose for a California wine.  A little bit of fruit, a little bit of smoke. 

The flavor is very fruit forward.  I taste cherries and blueberries.  It’s easy to drink.  This would be good for the moms who get together to hand out candy, the ones who don’t drink a lot of red. 

The wine is a great idea – thematically I’m sure they sell a lot around this holiday.  And it has it’s market – the casual wine drinker who hasn’t developed a deep palate.


But for the experienced wine snob, I may pass.

Comments