November 2, 2017
The Velvet Devil Merlot

Happy Halloween bonus round.

My awesome husband brought me home this bottle, out of Washington State, as an “I love you” present.  So I’m adding one more week to my scary wines.

I’m actually celebrating as I write this.  I’m celebrating the (almost) completion of project: Butcher the Bushes.

That sounds awful.  (However, it brings about thoughts of axe murders, which pairs nicely with my post Halloween blog.)

I live in a subdivision with landscapers.  They take care of everything outside of your fence.  It’s great. 

Except that I have huge, terrible holly bushes.  For two years, they’ve promised me that they’ll “cut them to the wood” the next time they prune.  But they keep “forgetting.”  (The talked me out of pulling them out in favor of something prettier, like gardenia bushes.  Apparently, I don’t have enough sunlight.)

So, two weeks ago, when the pruners came by and didn’t do it, I got out my Tree and Shrub Lopper (big pruner) and started on the project myself.  I’m not just cutting them to the wood, I’m cutting them halfway to the ground, and a foot off the diameter.

They’re not cut pretty.  They’re not completely straight across.  But they’re beautiful.  And my triceps are in better shape than they’ve been in years. 

The leaves will fill in and make them look nice again by spring, half the height, and not nearly as tall.  And I’ll be happier with the smaller bushes. 

I’m pretty sure the landscapers will have a heart attack the next time they come through.  I might sit on my front porch with a glass of wine and watch.

Th Velvet Devil is a Merlot from Washington State.  I like Pacific Northwest wines.  They’re a bit lighter, very fruit forward, and yummy.  This one is no exception.  There isn’t a heavy smoke to this Merlot, something I get from California Merlots.  But there’s a nice tannin, plum, and not a lot of oak.


Worth it for the price, enjoyable.

Comments