June 21, 2018

Stave and Steel Cabernet Sauvignon

What do you get when a wine blogger runs into a wine distributor at the grocery store?  Besides a really long trip for groceries (I’m so glad I hadn’t been to the ice cream aisle yet), you get a couple of bottles that you probably wouldn’t have purchased and some great conversation.

A couple of weeks ago, I happened to run into the distributor for several wineries.  (One of which is my current favorite California winery, Michael David Winery.)  After discussing several bottles that I love but can’t afford to go into this blog (cough, Earthquake Zin, cough), he started making some suggestions that might.

He was knowledgeable (not just a “shelf stocker”) and knew a lot about bottles he didn’t even carry.  He wasn’t even offended when I pointed out a zin that I love and knew wasn’t his brand.  Without missing a beat, he agreed it was a good vintage and then pointed out something he did carry that would be complimentary.

Big time bonus points because I knew both bottles and he wasn’t wrong. 

We land on Stave and Steel Bourbon Barrel Aged Cab.  I like the Bourbon Barrel trend.  I’ve had a couple that were really good.  Unfortunately, I’ve had a couple that were really bad, too.  Trusting my instincts that they guy knew his wine, I took his advice and bought the bottle.

I ended up with a bottle of cab that would go great with pepperoni pizza.  Strong, complex flavors starting out with a dark fruit nose (think blackberries and currant with a hint of smoke) and then a palate of oak, spice, and black cherry.

Amazing, complex, and yum!

What’s the moral of today’s blog?  Don’t be afraid to talk to the guy stocking shelves in the wine aisle.  He just might know what he’s talking about and you might get a crazy good bottle of wine at a great value.

Comments