June 7, 2018

Starling Castle Riesling

I’ve been combining my love of books with my love of wine lately in this blog.  I’ve talked about the Outlander books mostly, as they took up most of my time over the last few months.  (Thanks Rachele and Pam.  😊 )  I’ll get back to those books soon, a break was needed between Voyager and Drums of Autumn.

I used this break to re-read a book I read in college, Mists of Avalon.  I remember loving the book.  I remember telling friends for years the book changed my life.  (I can even tell you the exact line in the book that made me re-think the way I saw the world.)

Then, for a book club this Sunday, I re-read the book.  Only to firmly realize I didn’t remember anything.

Maybe it’s age, or where I am in life “now” versus “then.”  But it’s a totally different read.  I remember rushing to get past Ingraine and Uther (Arthur’s parents), the backstory which starts the book.  This time, their story might be my favorite part.

The overall message of the book is the same: winners write history.  The message shaped my writing and the way I viewed the history of my imaginary worlds well.  There are two sides to every story.  The truth lies in the middle.  Also true in the every day world.

As I read the book, I enjoyed one of those porch sippers from my last blog.  This time, a Riesling from Germany.  (I remember complaining in my first Outlander blog that I didn’t have any German Riesling, I’m glad I fixed the problem.)

On the sweeter side, tasting of fruit and honeysuckle, this wine is a fabulous drink for enjoying with a book.  (And popcorn if you have it handy.)  The flavors in the wine make me think of Avalon and her apple groves, fairies, priestesses, and unending summer.   A great pairing if I do say so myself.

Comments