July 19, 2018
Angry Orchard Rose

A couple of weeks ago I was at a club in midtown Atlanta watching one of the groups I work with.  I decide to have a drink, so I ask the bartender what ciders he has.  (Being gluten free eliminates all beer, and let’s face it – the wines they have at clubs like that are not something I’m willing to pay for.)  He names off a few, Angry Orchard Rose being among them.

“Does it really taste different than regular Angry Orchard?”  I ask.  “Is it good?”

He gives me the look that speaks volumes.  Lady, I work in a bar.  I don’t know and probably don’t care.  Then he smiles and shrugs.  “It’s pink.”

I laugh and pass, afraid I’ll end up with something that’s over the top sweet and made for the “White Zinfandel” crowd.

Fast forward three weeks and a good friend of mine show up at my office with a bag.  Inside are two bottles of Angry Orchard Rose with the explanation, “I tried it and love it.  You should try it, too.”

Still unsure, I give it a try that night with some salt and vinegar potato chips.  I figure if it’s terrible I can still bail in favor of a glass of wine.

It’s sweet.  I can’t deny that.  Sweeter than the rest of the cider I normally drink.  (Disclaimer – my “usual” at home cider is Green Apple, which is more sour than the rest.)  But it isn’t that over the top, make your gums bleed, why-did-I-think-this-was-a-good-idea kind of sweet.  It went well with chips. 

I’m thinking this might be a fun drink for a garden party, bridal shower, or other event.  It tastes good enough that I enjoy it, but I think I’ll stick to my overly sour Green Apple.

Comments