August 16, 2018
Not Your Father’s Ginger Ale

As I sit here writing this blog, slowly sipping a bottle of Not Your Father’s Ginger Ale, I find myself thinking back over the many young people I have worked with in my life.  Over the years I have mentored through a number of organizations.

I drink the (a little bit) too sweet ginger ale thinking about how it doesn’t taste anything like the ginger ale I drank growing up.  (Vernors)  But it’s good.  I like it on this oh-so-hot day spent doing yard work.

Giving your time to help young people isn’t done because you expect accolades.  Or thanks.  Or even acknowledgement.  Most of the time, the young people slink off to their own worlds, probably muttering about how old fashioned you are, and you are left hoping that something sticks.

Some days, I’m amazed.  I’ll get a phone call or someone will drop by my office to say, “you taught me this, thank you.”

Lately, I’ve been heartbroken and deeply hurt.  Sometimes, the lure of lies and half truths are too much to overcome.  Sometimes you have to watch someone you care for go off into the world without you. 

You never know if they’re going to come back.  You never know if they’ll go on believing things untrue because their friend said so.  When young people (or older people, for that matter) start to gossip, small problems become big.  Personal accountability is redirected to a scape goat.  Anger builds.  And then the lie overcomes the initial truth in a way that makes the truth unrecognizable.

I’ve seen it happen to others.  Bullies thrive.  Good people are hurt or excommunicated from organizations for imagined wrongs.

I cannot be kicked out of my own business (I hope).  But people can leave.  Untruths can mask themselves as facts.

I don’t give of my time because I expect thanks.  I give to make a difference.  I won’t win them all and some young people don’t need what I have to give.  The sadness of burying a teen never passes.  But the next day dawns, you get ready for work, and you hope today will be better.

Because you need to be strong – you never know who you are inspiring.

Comments