August 2, 2018
Iris Vineyards Pinot Gris

I always read my last blog before starting the new one.  This week, it put salt and vinegar potato chips on my mind, which I ended up using in this tasting again.

On purpose, I pulled a sweeter bottle of white to blog about because who doesn’t love sweet and sour? 

I’m finishing up my last week of summer camp at work.  It’s exhausting, fulfilling, and something I look forward to each summer.  We run four and a half weeks of camp each year.  (We’re going to five and half weeks next year, I might be crazy!)    But by the end, I’m fighting myself not to skip my morning workout, struggling to stay awake in the afternoon, and counting the days until the start of school.

I love my campers, but they have a ton more energy than I do by the end.

It seems like they’re always ready for one more run through of their song when I’m ready for a nap on the sofa in the Green Room.

They’re great kids, with great parents, who give everything they have in energy and talent to make a exceptional rock concert at the end of the week.

This one is a bit bittersweet.  What I had intended to be my last summer as an active counselor is turning out to be the last summer for a long-time member of my team.  He’s having health issues and needs to stop playing music for a while.  I’m heartbroken to see him go.  Most of the kids know and seem to be working hard to make this last one special.

After a day of camp, I come home and open a bottle of Pinot Gris.  It’s on the sweeter side, lots of floral, and exactly what I need with these chips.  It’s one of those “porch sippers” I’d talked about at the beginning of the summer.  Easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and a perfect way to end a full day.

If you’re reading this, I wish “The Terrible Sound Man” all the best in your future endeavors.  You’re going to be missed.  Enjoy a farewell bottle of wine and don’t be a stranger at next summer’s camp concert.

Comments