August 30, 2018
La Maldicion: Tinto de Valdilecha

Tomorrow I’m off to my favorite gathering of the year – Dragon Con in Atlanta, Georgia.  For the next three days I will immerse myself in science fiction, fantasy, and cultural icons.  I can sit for hours and people watch here.  The costumes are legendary (I hope to meet the Duck People again), the panels are entertaining, and the knowledge to be gleamed from some of the most amazing writers is endless.

Today I’m finishing off a bottle of raspberry smelling Spanish wine so that it doesn’t go bad while I’m gone.  Munching on a gluten free, deep chocolate brownie while I’m doing it is divine.  This wine isn’t as heavy as a cab and compliments the chocolate perfectly.

Tomorrow I’ll probably be drinking some whisky on the rocks while discussing the finer points of Stargate with a random stranger in a bar.

(My husband is currently shaking his head in dismay.  He finds the whole trip embarrassing.)

There’s a freedom to spending a weekend in an imaginary world.  For four days I can let go of everything – the responsibilities as a business owner, the fears of not making payroll, the stress of keeping a business floating, even the humdrum realities of grocery shopping.  For four days, Anne gets to come out and play.  (Anne is my pseudonym and is much more fun than my normal, everyday self.)

Don’t roll your eyes the next time someone mentions a con.  This is about freedom and fun.  It’s about dressing up and being someone other than yourself for a few days.  It’s about learning new things and meeting people who appreciate the finer nuances of movies and television.

And for me, it’s also about eating at a fabulous restaurant downtown.  Keep your eyes open, I’ll be posting about that soon!

Comments