August 9, 2018
The Vacation Blog

If I had the time to travel more, the title of this blog would be something like “Affordable Wine, Food, and Travel.”  As it is, I’m happy to make the most of business travel and the occasional short vacation with my husband.

Last week, it was off to Madison, Georgia.  A short, ninety-minute drive from home, the town boasts a impressive number of historic homes (one of the few towns not burned during the Civil War), a unproportionate number of fabulous restaurants for a town it’s size, and a boutique hotel I found on a random Google search.  I think I looked for “Cool Hotels in Georgia” or something equally silly.

After a random throw at the internet dartboard, we had reservations at the James Madison Inn, and no idea what to expect.

Let me say, OMG!  What an amazing little town.  I’ve now told at least ten of my customers they need to take an overnight there – with spouse, without kids.  It’s an easy drive, great food was readily available, the hotel was fabulous (including a sunken tub and a beautiful anniversary flower arrangement with chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of Prosecco), there were some interesting museums, and a ton of antique shops. 

I even managed to not answer my emails for two whole days!

My over-the top amazing shout outs: The Madison Produce Company for a wonderful lunch and for carrying neat local products, including my favorite Georgia made Pimento Cheese spread.  Town 220, a restaurant that could challenge some of my favorite downtown Atlanta eateries with a wine list to die for.  Farmview Restaurant, amazing farm to table lunch and a market that supplied me with enough Georgia made cheeses to get me to the end of August.  Madison Perk Avenue, for keeping my husband supplied with coffee and building a neat musical venue, we may be back to see you soon.  And last, The James Madison Inn for going above and beyond in service, a beautiful building, friendliness of staff, and impressing two very hard to impress travelers.

The city of Madison has an amazing Visitor’s Center.  Heritage Hall, Rose Cottage and Rogers House were wonderful to visit – the docents were friendly and didn’t hurry us or make us feel uncomfortable.  They chatted about the houses and tourism in Madison.  And did I mention antique shops?  These were top notch, filled with amazing, genuine items.

Thank you, Madison, for a wonderful visit.

Oh, my wine recommendation for the week?  Compliments of our wonderful server at Town 220 who made a fabulous and surprising recommendation to go with ribeye.  Alexakis Kotsifali Syrah.  It’s Greek (I have a soft spot for Greek wines.)  If you can find a bottle, it’s amazing.  A lot more raspberry than I expected.

Comments