September 13, 2018
Notable: Australia Chardonnay

It’s time for an editing break.  For real this time, unlike the last three days when I want to whine about editing, stomp my feet, and clean out the corner of the bathroom where all the dust gets trapped rather than sit down at my computer.

This is the last round – the Interior Layout Approval round of edits.  Checking page breaks, scene breaks, chapters, and word tenses.  I’ve been at it for several days and have completed 210 out of 246 pages.  I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  

This isn’t the fun part of being a writer.

I realized over the weekend that I’m officially an author.  I also painfully understand now the difference between working “at” your business and “on” your business. 

Dragon Con gave me the opportunity to attend some panels on the business of writing.  Yay!  I more than doubled my Instagram followers in five days.  Yay!  I understand what hashtags are now and how to use them.  Yay!

I also realize I have more work to do than I ever knew.  Not yay.

It’s a little overwhelming today, one foot in front of the other, one step at a time.  The good news is that I’m making progress.  (And so is Contrition, out later this month if I ever finish the Interior Layout.)

Thankfully, I have a nice glass of Chardonnay to help me through.  This bottle is a leftover from a party I hosted for one of my musical groups.  I’ll admit, I only purchased it for the label.  It promised to be filled with citrus, melon, peach – fruity and crisp, not at all buttery and oaky. 

I’d hoped for an unoaked Chardonnay, sadly I didn’t get it.  However, this bottle is so lightly oaked and truly so filled with fruit that I don’t notice the oak at all after the first sip.  It’s nice, fairly light, and drinkable (even to a non-Chardonnay drinker like me).

Break over.  Chapter 17 of Contrition, here I come.  If we’re all lucky, my next blog will be on the bottle of champagne I pop open once the novel is completely finished!

Comments