November 15, 2018
JiJiJi 2017 – Malbec/Pinot Noir blend

As I sit here writing this blog, sipping a wonderful Malbec/Pinot Noir blend from Argentina, I am seriously considering the possibility that Facebook was created by Eris, the Greek goddess of strife and discord. 

What better way to create trouble among human beings than create a platform upon which you can say anything while at the same time saying nothing?  Where you can tell the world your woes without anyone actually knowing what you’re talking about.

I’m sure we all have our own story of insanity born of the world of Facebook.  (Or Twitter, or Instagram, or Snapchat, whatever.)  I apparently had one this week and didn’t even know it was happening.  (Disclaimer, part of what I teach high school students is to always be aware of what you post because you never know who is looking and a bad post can ruin a career.  I guess I wasn’t paying attention to myself!)

Last week, I posted something to the effect of this: if someone is talking about you, let them.  Keep doing your thing, you can’t stop them anyway.  This was after a conversation I had with a mentee of mine who was struggling with some unkind texts being sent about her.

A few days later a friend of mine tells me I shouldn’t stoop to the level of responding to a rival business when their employees post negative things about me.  I have no idea what she’s talking about.  I don’t troll other businesses websites or social media to see what they’re doing.  I follow businesses I admire and I concentrate on my own business.  Because, let’s be real, if I’m so focused on you then I’m not working on me.

It turns out this other business DID have employees posting about me (I was sent a copy of the discussion via text from one of my customers who thought it was funny).  The conversation was entertaining to me (I’m sorry, but the analogy being made by the young staff members was terribly inaccurate and therefore quite humorous). 

While I didn’t intentionally send any kind of message knowingly, it is a reminder that I should be completely clear what I am talking about in the future.

Like right now.  I am sitting at my table.  It is raining outside and my patio door is open.  I am enjoying a glass of wine.    The nose has hints of ash and stone.  The flavor is full of raspberry and cherry.  It is a good wine.  The end.

Comments