November 29, 2018
Tarrica Pinot Gris

I really like Tarrica wines.  I also really like Pinot Gris.  My initial mouth feel of this wine held tons of apples, peaches, and apricot.  Yummy!  (But not yummy with a super sweet cake.  This wine needs to be enjoyed alone or with a light pasta.)

The does, however, offset a negative personality very nicely. 

I had occasion over the last week to have dinner with someone I hadn’t spent time with in a while.  Because it had been so long, I wasn’t prepared for what happened.  As I grow, I try to be a better person.  Listen more.  Complain less.  Enjoy the quiet moments of life.

This long-time friend, now regulated to Facebook Friend status due to distance, has not changed much since teens.  For three straight hours, it was a litany of how the world is against her.  From the guy at the grocery store to squirrels in her yard digging up her tulip bulbs. 

Any interest in what’s happening with me?  No.  Not a single question about how anything in my world is doing.  No questions about my illness or my book releases.  Not about my husband, job, or pets.  Just an endless tirade about how life is mistreating her.

(In fairness, she never implied it was mistreatment.  Instead, she looked at it more as an endless stream of bad luck.)

As I sipped my wine and listened to her story, I found myself wondering if truly nothing good happens to her.  It seems unlikely.  It seems more likely that, for whatever reason, she has grown into an adult with blinders on – an adult who is unable to see the beauty in the sunrise, the joy in squirrels playing in her yard, the relaxation in a night at home with nowhere to go.

The wine that night was wonderful, the company not so bad.  It was nice to catch up, as much as we could, but I know next time to keep the dinner shorter.  A restaurant instead of at home, perhaps.  I value the friendship long lived as this one has been.  I value more, however, the traits of joy, beauty, and serenity.

Comments