January 17, 2019
Stemmari Chardonnay

This is my first wine/book blog of the year.  I’ll start with the wine.  Stemmari Chardonnay.  I ended up with a bottle because I buy a case of wine for gifts each Christmas.  This year, I bought a case of mixed Stemmari wine and ended up with a bottle of Chardonnay left over.  Bad planning on my part.

I can count on one hand the number of Chardonnays I love.  This isn’t one of them.  It’s drinkable (especially if you’re into Chardonnay), but not something I’d order or buy on purpose.  Although, to be honest, I drink Chardonnay willingly about three times a year.  I’ll think, “I really want a Chardonnay.”  I’ll order a glass in a restaurant.  Then I remember why that’s a bad idea.

I do, however, enjoy a glass of Unoaked Chardonnay from time to time.  It’s a completely different wine.

Stranger still, I love Russian River Valley wines.  Very consistently, these are my favorites.  Except, again, Chardonnay.  Truth be told, every Russian River Valley Chardonnay I’ve tried has made me terrible sick and fast.  I’m not sure why.

However, in the land of “oh-my-god-are-you-ever-going-to-finish-that book,” I finally finished Drums of Autumn.  Here’s the short short version of my review.  Don’t give up.  I know it gets tough in the middle.  (I had several of my friends tell me they gave up and went onto the next book after reading a synopsis online.)  The last 200 pages are worth the trudge through the middle.

I understand I am many books behind some of you.  But I’ll put this out there.  This is my second favorite book so far in the series.  (Book one is still my fav.)  And despite some serious misgivings I have about Brianna in the long haul, I liked her in this book.  She had some cool moments.  If you have the large copy book, pages 775-789ish come to mind.  She’s a nice blend of Jamie and Claire.  (And probably dangerous to boot.)

Interestingly enough, my husband and I are watching the television show together.  He loves Frank.  Frank is his favorite character.  Now Roger is quickly becoming one of his favorites.  (Keep in mind that while I’m writing this Roger has been sent off to the Indians so hubby doesn’t know about anything after Roger’s mishap with Ian and company.) 

I’m doing my best to be vague enough that you won’t be spoiled if you are reading the books and haven’t gotten there yet.

Regardless, I finished this novel with a glass of Chardonnay in my hand.  Book great.  Wine, meh.  I’ll hope for something better for The Fiery Cross.

Comments