February 14, 2019
Radius Cabernet Sauvignon

Fact: I can only juggle so many balls at one time.  (Truth, I can’t juggle at all, but it’s a good analogy.) 

This was pointed out to me recently when I had lamented how certain parts of my business were thriving while others were meh.  “How much time do you put into the meh parts?”  I was asked.  Cue lots of staring at my feet and looking around.

I am very productive.  I own a small business that isn’t so small, keep up this blog, am releasing TWO novels in 2019.  Not to mention I have a husband who likes to see me occasionally, a diet that requires more eating at home and less eating out, older parents I help care for, and would occasionally like to have a day off.  (Did I mention that once in a while I do like to hang out with the girls, too?)

Give away one of the balls.  Delegate.  Trust someone else.

Crap.

Crap, but not wrong.

Fact: I can’t continue to grow my business (cough, businesses) if I don’t give away some control.  This is the part where I curl up in a ball, rocking back and forth on the floor, visions of little demonic beings dancing around my head. 

I might have control issues.

So, we start easy.  We ask one of our admins to come to the summer trade show with us to start taking trainings on growing one part of the business.  (But OH GOD!  HOW ARE WE GOING TO PAY FOR THAT????)  Sorry, fear screaming in my head.  The bigger question?  How are we going to pay for things if we DON’T do that?

Sometimes, in order to rule the world, you have to give away control.  (I see a theme for an upcoming novel.  Stay tuned.)  There are some thing that only I can do.  That list is very, very small.  I have a great staff.  It’s time to really trust them.

This wine, Radius Cabernet Sauvignon, is a bit of relinquished control.  (It was a gift bottle.)  It’s been open 24 hours and has settled into a raspberry jam tasting sweet cab.  It’s different, unique, and not what I’d expect from a cab.  But it isn’t bad.  As a matter of fact, it’s very nice all by itself.  Enjoyable as I write this blog.

Maybe relinquishing control will be like that.  Maybe, I won’t get what I expect (the demons in my mind expect doom and destruction),  Maybe, I’ll get something sweet, unique, and wonderful.

Comments