April 18, 2019
Ferzo Passerina Terri Di Chieti IGP

Sorry I disappeared for a few weeks.  I had been juggling too many balls and something had to drop.  This blog was one of the things I decided could take a time out, but now I’m back.

One of the reasons I dropped this ball was so I could to a lifestyle/eating habits change.  A while back, I’d started on the Wahls Protocol.  It focuses on extremely low amounts of grain, lots of veggies, and quality meat.  It has a lot of keto style ideas.  I did very well on the Wahls diet (until I cheated) except for one thing – I refused to give up dairy.  I figured if I’m going to die anyway, I may as well enjoy something.

About a year ago, my husband (being hooked on a health podcast) started going to a no sugars, no grains died.  Basically, keto.  I kept telling him he was going to die of high cholesterol and a heart attack.  Then comes his January general physical.  I wait around to do the “I-Told-You-So” dance, but darn it if his cholesterol went down, his blood sugar and blood pressure are good, and he was totally right.  (Good news, he doesn’t read this, so he’ll never know those words are in writing.)

So here I am, after a few weeks of adjustment, and my body is in ketosis (thank you little strips from Sprouts that tell me I’m doing it right).  I’m staying under 10% carbs in my diet and can still drink a glass of wine at night.  I’ve lost 5 pounds (although I’m not really doing it to lose weight) and I feel great.

Thankfully, I’m able to still drink wine.  This is my first white since I started the new diet.  I really like it.  It smells of peaches and flowers.  It tastes like a fruit forward Pinot Grigio.  I really like it.  (I’m finding I like Italian whites where I am not a big fan of Italian reds.)

This wine is a great summer porch sipping wine.  You can drink with seafood or salad, or any other light dish.  Or, this glass and the setting sun will do just nicely.

Comments