March 7, 2019
Baglio di Grisi: Viognier

Sometimes life surprises you.  Who am I kidding?  Life pretty much always surprises you because nothing ever turns out as you expected.  Too many variables outside of your control are affecting this ball of rock hurtling around the sun.  The sooner we accept that, the closer we are to true happiness.

Sometimes, someone we thought we could trust with our lives betrays us.

Sometimes, someone you thought you’d never be friends with saves you from being alone on your birthday and you end up best friends.

Sometimes a Viognier tastes like a California Chardonnay. 

Yikes.  What?

This bottle came to me as a gift from a friend.  She was happy to find a bottle in my price range at my favorite store that I hadn’t already had.  (Yes, blog friends, shopping for me is that bad.)  She scooped up the wine and delivered it in a pretty bag with a bow.

There probably wasn’t really a bow, but you get my drift.

I finally get around to opening it and then I think for a minute it’s been mismarked.  Surely this label went on the wrong bottle.  There’s too much oak and too much butter.  I don’t even think this is from Italy, it has to be from California.

It’s rare, but I’m wrong.  This is absolutely a Viognier from Italy.  To me, it tastes nothing like the Viogniers I’m used to.  It isn’t my favorite.  I enjoyed it but won’t purchase it again.  But I don’t like California Chardonnay.  Maybe you do.  If you do, try this bottle.  You’ll probably love it.

Comments