May 30, 2019
Frogtown Wines 2019 – Merger

On Memorial Day, I made the trip up to Frogtown with my family to enjoy lunch and a tasting.  Most of you know by now Frogtown is my favorite North Georgia winery; unless we’re talking about muscadine wine, I enjoy everything they make.  My longest running favorite has been the Shotgun Reloaded series of wines.

Coming at the end of a stressful two months, I really needed the break.  I finished the first draft of Retribution’s fourth novel that morning, there was no work waiting for me at home.  (A rare occurrence, believe me.  Other than vacuuming and general housework – which can all wait until Wednesday.) 

The day before, I’d attended a graduation party for a student.  She had little cards that we were supposed to write words of advice on.  I wrote, “Don’t take advantage of people, show gratitude, appreciation, and thanks.  Then pass on your time – it is the most valuable gift you can give.”

In our day job, at the business we own, my husband and I frequently give our time.  My husband, especially, has given thousands of hours of free lessons, advice, and help to aspiring musicians of all ages.  He doesn’t ask for compensation; he doesn’t even want it.  He does his job because he believes in passing on the gifts that were given to him by older, wiser, and more experienced musicians over the years.

He also doesn’t expect thanks.  Many of the people he helps say thanks, take the advice and experience, and move on.  Some come back, week after week, and get better.  Happy to give of his time, my husband only wants to make a positive impact on the lives of those he helps.

One thing he doesn’t do is stroke egos.  He won’t lie to someone, telling them something is amazing, just to keep them coming back.  That doesn’t help anyone, including his prospective mentee.  That’s not to say tearing someone down is acceptable.  Positive criticism to help them get better, is.

I can’t tell you how many people I know who will stroke egos and record bad songs just to keep money rolling in.  They don’t have the best interest of their client in mind.  They only see the bottom line – I need to pay rent this month so I’ll take this project that isn’t ready yet so I can pay my bills.  Who cares if the final song is any good; there are hundreds of other musicians out there ready to use my services after I’m done with this one.

Be cautious of ego boosters and surround yourself with people who are honest and who are honestly trying to help you.  My closest friends are not the people I trust to give me an honest opinion of my writing.  (Sorry, but true.)  They love me, and they love everything I write.  If I want to truly be successful, I need someone who is impartial, someone who has my long-term interest (and not my immediate self-gratification) in mind.

As for Frogtown and my Memorial Day visit?  Here’s a moment of truth – Shotgun wasn’t my favorite this year.  Merger was.  (Shocking!)  The difference between the two wines is one grape.  (Shotgun is a blend of Tannat, Touriga, Cab Franc, and Merlot.  Merger is a blend of Cab Franc, Merlot, and Tannat.)  One grape makes all the difference this year.  Great job, and wonderful visit, as always.  Thank you, Frogtown, for making Georgia wines something so easy to blog about!

An added bonus to today’s blog – Frogtown Nebbiolo.  Some of you may have heard about this wine on the Atlanta radio.  I managed to score a taste while I was there (even though it is currently only available to Wine Club Members).  I thought it was pretty fabulous (I got some green pepper and cherry on the flavor palate), but I’d like to try it again after it’s aged a year or two.  It tasted very young to me – but with a ton of potential.  To me, this wine is just another example of how Frogtown is continuing to improve and raise the bar of North Georgia wines.

Comments