July 11, 2019
Mon Ami – Walleye White

I took my pilgrimage back to Ohio last month and made my regular visit to Mon Ami Winery.  Mon Ami is a co-op winery that started in the late 1800’s on Catawba Island on Lake Erie.  Every year I’m able, I head to this winery.  The building is old and beautiful and the wines have legitimacy.  (They also have imports from Italy.)

This year, while I was enjoying an all-white tasting, I noticed a gentleman standing behind the tasting bar that wasn’t one of the servers doing tastings.  We struck up a conversation and I was surprised to find out he’d just purchased the winery a few days earlier.  The older gentleman who owned it presently was ready to retire.

The new owners, Quintin and Donna Smith, have an incredible vision for the winery; one I’m excited to watch over the next few years to see what they can accomplish.  Already the owners of Twin Oaks Brewing on Catawba Island, they have a healthy grasp on the island’s economy and opportunity. 

His vision for returning old-world wine making traditions, planting new vines, and his appreciation for the history of the area are something I’m excited to see unfold.  I can’t wait for my next trip back to Ohio to see how this story progresses.

This trip, my favorite wine of the day was Walleye White.  An off-dry white made from Riesling and Vidal Blanc, it has the sweetness of a summer porch sipping white.  (But not so much sweetness that it isn’t drinkable.)  Think of it as a Riesling and you’ll get the idea.  It’s fabulous with potato chips or a light whitefish. 

If you’re passing through Ohio, take a day and drive out to Catawba Island.  Visit Mon Ami, there are also great parks along the lake.  Stop at Cheese Haven (possibly the coolest cheese store in the world).  Try a glass or two at Mon Ami.  If red’s your thing, try Himeros. 

And while you’re at Mon Ami, eat in the restaurant.  I recommend the Lake Erie Perch.  It’s not a fish you’ll find at a fancy New York restaurant, but it will complete your tour of Catawba Island.

Comments