July 18, 2019
Kaya Vineyards, Georgia

I’m going to stay on my pattern of reviewing wineries for at least one more week.  (Two if I can manage a stop at Arrignton Vineyards on my way to Nashville next week.)  I’ve talked about Kaya before, but I spent Independence Day up there for lunch and thought a new review would be nice.

Kaya is a winery that rose from the ashes of the unfortunate close of Blackstock.  The new owners have done amazing things.  They built a beautiful tasting room, cottages you can rent, and have cultivated the vines to produce some very nice, young wines.

When I first started going there, I noticed right away the rose wines far outshined everything else.  Today, that still holds true for me.

I’ll tell you what I don’t like.  They have a true, oaked chardonnay.  It’s so strong, I had trouble finishing a single ounce tasting pour.  I don’t like oaked chardonnay, especially California style Chardonnay.  This one could have come out of any AVA in California as far as I’m concerned.  The lady next to me in line, however, loved it.  So, go for it if chardonnay is your flavor.

For me, my favorite Kaya wines are their dry roses.  Each one is good, has a light hint of summer fruit like melon and strawberry, and sits nicely on the palate.  The Merlot Blush, in particular, is very good.  I even like the Blue Truck Sweet Blush as a dessert wine.  It’s sweeter than I would normally drink, but not too sweet. Give it a try.

As for reds, both this and last year’s Anniversary Blends are great. 

The best part about the winery (and probably the best for my non-alcohol drinking husband, too) is the ambiance and the food.  Most weekends, there is acoustic music on the patio.  Go in, order off of the perfectly simple menu (I hate it when wineries have menus that are too complex with too many foods – we aren’t here for a four-course meal).  Take your number and find a spot on the patio to enjoy the afternoon.

Their cheese plate and charcuterie plate are both spectacular with wonderful choices.  Add a salad (that changes seasonally), and you’re set for a glass, bottle, or tasting flight of wines.

The view is spectacular, the wines very nice, and with the right company, it could be a wonderful day.

Comments