August 1, 2019
Niner Wine Estates

I didn’t make a surprise trip to California.  That would have been a nice escape from my week, no matter how much more behind it would have put me.  What I did do is get a nice all Niner tasting with the wine’s Southeast Regional Sales Manager, Eric.

I had heard about Niner and its sustainability practices; so I made the time on a Tuesday night to try out their wines.

The sales manager had an interesting story to start with about using foods to treat autoimmune disorders, which speaks to me because change of diet has been my most successful took in battling lupus over the last few years.  He had no idea that he’d hit a special spot for me before the tasting even began.

The wines, overall, were drinkable.  Two stood out from the rest for me: the Sauvignon Blanc and the Cabernet Sauvignon. 

I brought a bottle of the Sauvignon Blanc home with me, so that tells you which one I like the best.  The Sauv Blanc tasted like a fresh grapefruit, which is exactly what I look for in a Sauv Blanc.  I don’t want the slight sweetness you get from a New Zealand bottle.  I want it crisp, slightly tart, and refreshing.

The Cabernet Sauvignon was so much lighter than I expected based on the nose.  The nose gives you raspberry jam, fruit forward, and a heavy finish.  On the pallet, you’ll get a lot of fruit, but it’s light fruit.  There’s no heaviness to the wine at all.

This was a great tasting.  I know which bottle I’ll look for again, and that’s the Sauvignon Blanc.  It’s everything I want in that varietal.

Comments