August 8, 2019
Vampire Red

I’ve had this wine before.  The first time, an earlier vintage, wasn’t one of my favorite wine experiences.  This bottle came to me as a gift.  Rather than re-gifting, I thought I’d give it another chance.

The gift was a fun bottle, partly in honor of my soon-to-be-released fourth novel.  The third installment of my vampire series, the bottle is appropriate.

The books take the reader on a journey into the heart of a secret vampire world located in and around Atlanta, Georgia.  I know, not as exciting as New Orleans, New York City, or even Savannah, but I like the idea of vampires living in Atlanta.  It has a big airport, nightlife, and a lot of space to hide in.
Savannah might be may favorite city to visit, but I’m saving that city for a good ghost story. 

I opened this bottle a day ago, wanting it to sit with some oxygen before I tasted it again.  I admit, the first bottle might have needed some air.  I have a bad habit of blogging about a freshly opened bottle of wine – something that isn’t always in the wine’s best interest.

On day two, this wine had one of the most interesting noses I’ve had in a while.  It was like raspberry jam with a dash of cinnamon.  I don’t think I’ve ever described a wine like that before. 

The flavors were equally interesting.  A bit strong on the tannins, it has hints of blueberry, pepper, and spice. 

Overall, not a bad red.  That’s saying a lot as lately I’ve been moving away from California wines.  The bottle, and the concept of the company, is awesome.  I want the whole collection for labels alone.

Comments