September 19, 2019
Montaluce: Seyval

You all know that I enjoy local wineries.  Montaluce is another North Georgia winery; this one is probably the closest to my house.  I had never gone there before spring because I’d been in the habit of always going to Kaya/Frogtown/Three Sister.  This year, I tried two new ones – Montaluce and Cavender Creek – and decided I need to be open to new things more often.

The problem of getting into habits and not trying new things is that you’ll miss out.  I didn’t eat olives for year.  Now I can’t get those years of missing out on olives back.  It’s time lost.  All I can do is make the most of whatever time with olives I have left.

I’m joking, but I’m also serious.  In life, we often get stuck doing the same old thing.  It’s an effort to step outside of our “normal.” 

For my husband and I, it’s vacations.  We have a terrible time letting go of life to leave on vacation.  Instead, we stick local, visit wineries (not bad), hike, maybe go to the movies.  I decided we need to take a vacation next year; I booked a hotel and paid the non-refundable deposit to keep us from backing out.

It isn’t that we don’t like to do new things, it’s the comfort in doing things we’re familiar with.

My goal for the fall is to try new things.  Instead of doing the same hikes we always do, we’re looking for new location.  We’re trying new restaurant.  We’re even watching new shows on television.  (Side note: Mind Hunter Season Two.  OMG.  What the heck am I going to do waiting for season three???)

This Seyval is so light it looks almost like water.  The color is light, light straw.  It’s got a hint of sweetness, melon, honeysuckle, and everything I love about summer wines.  It isn’t so sweet to turn off a dry white drinker.  It’s complex and enjoyable.  A porch-sipper.

Comments