September 26, 2019
The Battle of the Pinot Noirs

I had a challenge to complete this week as I continue studying and learning about wines.  This week’s was to try two different Pinot Noir’s – one from the Old World and one from the New World.  I wasn’t excited, Pinot being one of my least favorite wines, but I went to the store and came home with two bottles of wine.

First is Picket Fence, a Pinot Noir from the Russian River Valley.  I figured the only Pinot Noir I truly enjoys comes from this part of Sonoma County, let’s try this.  Meh.  It’s okay.  I’d never drink it on purpose, but I wouldn’t pass up a glass if I’m at a dinner and that’s what’s being served.  There’s lots of fruit, raspberry, cherry, and maybe a hint of leather.  Then, there’s the part of Pinot Noir that makes me feel like I’m drinking water.  It finishes off with a hint of minerality. 

Honestly, just too light for my taste.

Next up, Old World Pinot Noir, Le Grand Noir from Pays d’Oc, France.  I love French wines.  I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. 

This wine gets a whole star more than the last one.  The nose has some Old World complexity, which makes me feel better.  It has the same raspberry and cherry, but adds in cranberry and oak.  The minerality is still there; it isn’t as prominent.  This wine feels thicker, stronger.

In the battle of Old vs. New; Old World wins this round.  New World Pinot feels thin and weak to my palette.  Old World Pinto has complexity, more flavor, and a bit more weight.

Comments