November 21, 2019
David’s Land Merlot 2016

Sometimes, I get bored with the same old, same old.  I wonder if the reason California red doesn’t sit well with me is because 50% of the wine shelves I shop on are California red.  I want to try new things and discover new tastes.

A couple of years ago, someone challenged me to try a red wine from Israel.  Foolishly, I thought, do they make wine in Israel?  (I felt silly later when I thought about all the wine references in the Bible.)
My local wine shop keeps at least one bottle of Middle Eastern wine in stock.  I tried it; now I’m hooked.

Middle Eastern wine has a heavier, more complex flavor than California or even European wines.  The first bottle I tried had the flavor I like to call “Georgia chocolate.”  I find that red wines raised in a warm climate are thicker, heavier, and have a chocolate-like flavor.

I’ve gone on to try wines from Jordan, Galilee, and Lebanon.  Each area has its own individual feel and flavor.  Give them all a try. 

David’s Land is from Galilee,  Israel.  It’s ruby red in color (beautiful) with blueberry on the nose.  The flavor palate is more complex.  Currant, plums, and that chocolate I told you about.  It’s a strong wine with a fair amount of tannins. 

These wines probably aren’t for everyone.  They’re heavy in flavor and has some unique overtones through the wine.  I like this when it’s first opened, decant for too long and the flavor seems to degrade. 

Comments