November 28, 2019
Happy Thanksgiving!
Millbrandt Merlot 2017

I am part of a wine club that gives me a monthly tasting of small batch, outstanding wines.  This wine came from that club back in October.  I love a good Merlot, I love Pacific Northwest wines, this one was destined to be one of my favorites.

Before I get to the wine, I hope you are having a beautiful, happy Thanksgiving.  I hope you are with friends and family, or that you’re enjoying a day to yourself if that better suits you.  Right about now, I’m sitting down to dinner with my parents, husband, and good friend who is my “unofficial” sister.  We’re probably enjoying turkey and keto-friendly sides (and mashed potatoes because mom would never be okay to have a Thanksgiving without potatoes).

This is the last moment of peace before the sprint to the end of the year for me.  Starting tomorrow, Black Friday, my business workload triples until we sign off from our New Year’s Eve concert on December 31.  It’s a busy, fun, and exhilarating time.

I’ll be following up the Christmas season with my husband’s 4oth birthday on January second.  Unlike me, he hates parties, so I promised no parties.  Instead, we’re doing a quiet dinner at a favorite restaurant and the coolest birthday gift ever.  If he doesn’t like it, I’m keeping it for myself.
It’s a wonderful time of the year for those of us who are happy and have family to celebrate with. 

For those of us who struggle with mental health, loneliness, or loss, this time of year can be tougher.  

If someone is short tempered with you, cut them a break.  You don’t know what they’re going through.  Give a few more minutes, say a kind word to a stranger, or give a little more to your local foodbank.  We all go through tough times.

This wine is dry, fruit forward, and classic.  It isn’t as smoky as some Merlots can be, which makes it very drinkable with food or on a cold wintry night in front of the fire.  It’s a great value for the price.

Comments