December 5, 2019
The Mothervine: Scuppernong

I love local wineries and I love local stories.  This wine came to me from a friend last Christmas (it sat on my wine shelf WAY too long).  I was nervous about it because it’s a local North Carolina wine – so I assumed it was sweet.

Sweet, it is, but not in the kind of way that makes me want to pour the whole bottle down the drain.  This little wine is fun little dessert stile wine I savored after Thanksgiving dinner.  I can tell you now it probably won’t go well with much food except for dessert. 

It’s sweet and a bit musty, but very enjoyable – even for a dry wine drinker like me.

What makes this wine neat is the story behind it.  Even while posting to this wine on Vivino, I noticed several other bloggers mention the story and the friend who gave it to me also said she’s bought it because of the story.

Go to the website to read the whole story, but the short version is this: The Mothervine is America’s oldest cultivated grapevine, circa 1584, on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. 

Pretty cool.

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving with great wine.  We splurged on a bottle Champagne and enjoyed every last drop.  My husband and I had the privilege of sharing our holiday with not only belly button family, but also the family we choose through our friendships. 

Now the rush for Christmas begins. 

Thank you for following my blog.  I hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday season, whichever holiday you celebrate.

Comments