August 27, 2020

Payers of Saints Chardonnay

 

I’ve been drinking my way through some Chardonnay.  I set out on a quest at the beginning of the summer to determine exactly what it is about Chardonnay that I don’t like and why there are a few bottles I run across from time to time that I really like.

My first big bit of enlightenment is that I really like French Chardonnay.  Overall, it’s lighter, fruitier, easier to drink, and doesn’t have the heavy, buttery, oakiness that California has.  (Which means California is on my “no drink” list.)

I’m sure, given enough time on this quest, I’ll find certain areas of France I like better than others.  The jury is still out on other parts of the world as I’ve focused on France and California so far.

At least until now.  I picked up this bottle because I liked the name and it has praying skeletons on the label.  How cool is that? 

This is a Washington State Chardonnay.  I love the Pacific Northwest for most varietals, but due to my dislike of Chardonnay, this is my first. 

The first thing I noticed is that you can’t hide the fact this is a New World Chardonnay.  It has a lot of the characteristics of a California Chardonnay without the “punch you in the face strength” of California.  It has a touch of butter.  It has a fair amount of oak.  Pears are on the nose along with a touch of toasted almonds. 

If you have a craving for a New World Chardonnay, I’d recommend trying this one.  I’ll finish this bottle, unlike most California Chardonnay.  It gives me the flavors I occasionally want to taste, but not the over-the-top, way-too-strong infusion of the flavors.  This wine is drinkable.

It’s heavy, don’t get me wrong.  It needs food and had enough body to hang in there with a good steak or a meaty pasta.  This isn’t something you want to drink on your back porch as you watch the fireflies – it needs substance to it.

But, it’s a good option in New World Chardonnay when California doesn’t fit your palate. 

It’s good to be writing again and I hope I’ll start seeing you again weekly.  The summer has been a rough one, both personally and professionally.  I’ll fill you in on some of the details as I write future blogs.  Meanwhile, I’m glad to be here and hope to see you again next week!


 

Comments