Dorati Chianti

 


Perspective.  A change in perspective can change everything.  Think about how many times I’ve stated I don’t like Pinot Noir.  The right Pinot Noir, the right Riedel glass, and the right tutor and I’m excited to be going to a Pinot and BBQ tasting this weekend.  (Yep, BBQ along with sparkling Pinot, Pinot Gris, and two Pinot Noirs.)

Chianti is another revelation for me.  For many years, I tried to like Chianti because I thought it was one of those “intellectual” wines that true wine drinkers enjoyed.  Back then, I understood very little about wine.  I thought Chianti was a grape (not a region) and I couldn’t have told you the difference between a nose and a palate. 

Today, I can tell you this Chianti is 100% Sangiovese.  It’s a medium bodied wine with a beautiful ruby color.  It has a cherry flavor with hints of coffee and spices.  It’s a wine you want to have with lamb or aged cheeses.  It’s a wine you can sip on your back porch on a summer evening.

The pandemic has changed a lot about my perspective.  One reason I stopped writing for a while was that I needed to be me.  I needed time to myself.  Life felt like a race to keep my house clean, keep my family healthy, and keep my business afloat.  It became emotionally and physically exhausting.

I wasn’t taking time to smell the cork, you could say, just diving into the next glass without the savoring.

Lately, perspective has told me we can’t change anything.  This pandemic will play out as it will.  People will die.  Others will be barely affected.  There’s nothing I can do to change the outcome aside from live smart.  Save money where I can.  Don’t make foolish business decisions.  Keep a positive outlook.

And take the time to enjoy the nose of a 2018 Chianti.  


Comments