October 29, 2020

Cavender Creek Vineyards: Symphony

 

You know I enjoy the wineries in North Georgia.  I know the wines, for the most part, aren’t going to compete with California or European wines.  For me, the wineries are important for other reasons.  Tourism, local economy, beauty, and an escape.

COVID has been really hard on me.  I’m a natural people person and I’m a rule follower.  When the state said, “Shelter in Place,” I took that quite literal.  I still had to go to work and interact with people, but my entire social network went away.  I’m the kind of girl that would rather get coffee with you than talk to you on the phone.

As COVID drudges on, it’s taken a toll on my psyche.  I’m more anxious.  I’m more depressed.  Things get me down that never did before.  I find it harder to get out of bed in the morning and then I lay awake at night.  I know I’m not alone, but that is a small comfort when you’re in the middle of it.  I finally had to seek out some help when the anxiety got too bad.

With few options of where I can escape to, the wineries have been a blessing.  My husband and I can take off and enjoy lunch at one of them on short notice.  Sitting in the sunshine, enjoying an sandwich or pizza, and a glass of wine has been my saving grace three or four times in the last few months.  I’m not sure what I’ll do when colder weather sets in and outdoor seating is no longer available. 

For me, regardless of the quality of the wine, the wineries give me a quick vacation less than an hour away.  Tomorrow, date day, we’re heading up to one to enjoy the fall colors from the back porch.  It’s a moment of normalcy in an otherwise non-normal year.

This wine is one I never would have tried normally.  It’s from the “sweet” side of the menu at Cavender Creek (one of my newest loves).  While I generally gravitate to their more chocolaty reds, this one is full of honeysuckle and fruit.  Let some air get to it and you’ll get apple and pineapple.  It is sweet, but not “oh-gosh-my-gums-are-bleeding” sweet.  It’s drinkable and enjoyable.  Give it a try, even if you’re a dry white drinker if you ever make it up to North Georgia.

Comments