It’s Beginning to Look a lot Like Red Wine Time

 

When I did my first wine tasting, I drank all white wine and then begrudgingly tried one red (which I did not like).  In my wine travels, I’ve found I’m not alone.  Most wine drinkers start with white and then work they way into red (usually via a light Pinot Noir).  Now that the holidays and colder weather have arrived, my table is primarily set with red wine again.

How do I “learn” to drink red wine?  I’ve been asked that question frequently.  My biggest mistake was picking wine that was too inexpensive early on.  I probably would have enjoyed Merlot much sooner in life had I not stuck to $5 bottles from the bottom of the shelf in Kroger when I was in college. 

There are some simple suggestions that will help.  Start with a light red.  Pinot Noir or Gamay, maybe a Grenache.  Don’t jump straight into a heavy Cabernet Sauvignon.  You’ll overwhelm your taste buds and your flavor sensors won’t know what to do.

Go to a real wine store; one with a staff that can answer questions about the wine and help you find a bottle that will match your meal or your flavor preferences.  Don’t assume that every wine shop is “too expensive” just because it isn’t a grocery store.  My favorite local shop, with highly trained staff and a lot of unique bottles of wine, starts pricing at $10.  They have a bottle for every budget.

If you must keep the budget really low and hit up a regular grocery store, take a look at my “Grocery Store Grabs” suggestions each Wednesday on the Affordable Wine Snob’s Facebook page.  I go through the everyday wines you’ll find anywhere and help you to determine which are good and which are best left alone.  There are good grocery store budget wines out there, but you have to dig through a lot of yuck to get to them.

Most important, keep an open mind and try new things.  If you don’t want to jump into a bottle of something, get a glass at a restaurant.  Pay attention to what your flavor palate is telling you.  What did you like about the glass?  What didn’t you like?  Be specific.  When you can define what you do like, it’s easier to determine what wine adventure you want to take next.

Comments