January 21, 2021

Santa’s Workshop Shots

 

I realize Christmas is over, but I wanted to share this fun little drink someone sent me to try.  Besides, by now the reality of the new year is settling in and we all could use a little leftover Christmas magic.  Work schedules are back to “normal” (or at least, “COVID normal”).  Kids are back in school (albeit for some, school at home).  The joy and the magic are starting to fade.

What I love about Christmas, and more so this year, is the outpouring of love.  For a few days, the anger and arguments ceased.  For a few precious days, I didn’t hear people in the grocery store being rude to each other over the “proper” way to wear a mask.  I saw less condescending posts on Facebook and didn’t have to snooze a single friend.  (I keep friends on both sides of the aisle.  They’re equal opportunity offenders this year, I’ve snoozed people who believe what I do and people who don’t.  Snoozing happens when you can’t say something nice.)

It took a week for that love and peace to dissipate.  On New Year’s Eve, something very special happened for my family.  It was a once in a lifetime moment that will never occur again.  My extended family was present; we took off our masks for one brief moment to capture the memory.  We snapped a picture of us toasting the event (no masks for literally less than a minute).  Silly me, proud of the moment, posted that picture to social media.

And was immediately accosted by someone who lives in another state for not caring about his health.  How dare I go out without a mask on and put myself and everyone around me at risk.

I probably shouldn’t have posted the photo.  But my “friend” (who incidentally told me to unfriend him because we have values that are too different to continue being friends) didn’t ask details.  Didn’t care that this once in a lifetime event was being memorialized with one, quick, group photo of our urban family.  He didn’t care about the details.  He didn’t care the I always wear a mask when I go out.  He doesn’t care I’m not hanging around high risk areas and that I run my business the safest way possible (including regular calls to the CDC to make sure I understand the health updates).  He saw what he wanted to see and called me out on it.

So much for the love of the holidays.

I hope we can one day find a peace again.  I hope we can love one another unequivocally; I hope we will remember to teach our children compassion and to look at both sides of a story instead of jumping to conclusions.  I hope fear will no longer rule our world.

Meanwhile, if you’re in the mood for a peppermint milkshake tasting drink, try this: 1oz peppermint schnapps, 1 oz vodka, and 1 oz heavy cream (or half and half).  If you put the alcohol in the refrigerator before you make it, you’ll have a fun little peppermint milkshake.  Yum!


Comments