January 7, 2021

 

Cider and Rum

 

Just because the holidays are over it doesn’t mean the special drinks of winter need to be gone, too.  Sometimes, you need something to curl up with on a cold, snowy winter night.  Truth, I live in Atlanta.  We don’t have many wintery, snowy nights in the south.  But I grew up in Ohio, I remember nights of watching the snow come down in the darkness, waking up to drifts that threaten to keep us indoors all day long.

Hot cider and rum make a sweet, spicy drink that’s perfect in front of a roaring fire.  It will warm you to your bones and satisfy the sweet craving you probably have leftover from all the indulgence of the holidays.  You can even use a packet of sugar free cider mix from the hot chocolate aisle to cut back on your calories if you want.

A good measurement is one ounce of rum for every six ounces of cider.  It’s enough to flavor the cider without the alcohol being overpowering.  Be sure you spurge on a good quality rum for this recipe.  My favorite is Pampero Aniversario rum from Venezuela (there was an embargo on this the last time I checked, you have to find it in stock, it can’t be ordered).  It’s a strong rum, but the flavors are spectacular with the cider.

Do you have a favorite winter drink?  Let me know what it is in the comments section below so I can give it a try!


Comments