February 4, 2021

Accent Cellars: Underdog

 

Last Sunday, I was grateful for the opportunity to sit down over a glass of wine and visit with a friend.  It’s an activity I haven’t been able to do often enough thanks to COVID.  Wine is meant to shared, experienced with others, it’s an encounter for the soul and not just the palate. 

We sat for an hour and talked about any number of topics and of nothing all at the same time.  We simply enjoyed each other’s company (leaving politics and the political turmoil of the world at the door). 

The bottle I opened was one I needed to drink.  It had been on my wine shelf since businesses reopened last summer.  Early on in the opening, my husband and I made a trip to visit a North Georgia winery.  On the way home, we stopped at this one.  (It’s the farthest south of Dahlonega’s wineries.)

Accent Cellars is unassuming.  It’s not in the middle of acres of vines.  You can almost miss it when you get there, the driveway quickly disappears down an embankment.  But one you arrive, you’ll find a quaint, white building that holds a tasting room with a back porch.  A small stream meanders past where tables are set up in the yard.  They have corn hole, and I spotted a small stage that probably has local music when the weather is right.

Inside, you won’t find a fancy menu or a lot of familiar wines.  You may see a few vintages that you know: Pinot Noir, Dry Riesling, and Sauvignon Blanc.  If you stop by, try something new.  The flavors will surprise you and likely be like nothing you’ve tasted before.  I loved the Summer Harvest, a dry, sparkling apple wine.

On the day I spent with my friend, we opened a bottle of Underdog.  It’s 100% Georgia Chambourcin; probably a grape you’re not familiar with.  It holds a very strong, grape-like flavor with a bit of sweetness.  No food is needed for this wine, enjoy the flavors by themselves.  I think food would take away from the experience of this wine.  The wine has a deep, dark purple robe and is full bodied.  Even someone like me, who prefers dry to sweet, I could appreciate the complexity and enjoy the glass.

The moral of today’s blog?  Take a moment and share a glass of wine, or a cup of coffee, or even just a few minutes of your time with someone today.  Afraid to do it in person?  How about a Zoom meet up?  Life is short and we’ve spent so much of it alone lately – reach out and check on the friend you haven’t seen in a while.  Catch up.  Don’t let life pass you by.


 

Comments