March 25, 2021

Banyan Gewurztraminer

Spring is in the air.  My hyacinths are blooming in my backyard.  Their sweet perfume fills my fenced in retreat when the sun is shining, and the day is warm.  It’s a lovely scent that makes me want to break out my spring planting and start putting flowers in the ground.

Unfortunately, it’s still quite cold some mornings and the threat of late spring frost won’t be past for a few more weeks.  Easter is two weeks away.  Old wives tales will say the ground isn’t ready here in the south until after the Easter holiday. 

I’ll have to settle for the cold-hearty hyacinths and this bottle of wine for a few more weeks. 

The wine tastes to me the way the flowers in my yard smell.  Floral, bold, a small hint of sweetness.  It’s smooth, easy to drink, and doesn’t have too much acid detracting from the floral body.  It’s color is bright and spring-like, too, a golden hue that makes me think of Easter eggs and honey.

Honeysuckle is another bloom that I can find in the flavors of this wine.

If you’re ready for spring but the chill of winter hasn’t quite given up yet, try this wine.  When you drink it, think about the first flowers that bloom despite the late snow of March.  Hyacinths, snow drops, daffodils, and tulips.


 

Comments